A friend posted an article on Facebook about a popular baby wash containing formaldehyde as a preservative. This of course sounds very scary! The first thing most people think about is the embalming fluid! In truth, formaldehyde is used in many cosmetic products such as shampoo and nail hardening agents. It also can be used in food products as a preservative as well. It prevents products from growing bacteria and mold. The American Cancer Society has a great overview article I would encourage you to read.
Now if your goal is to decrease you families overall exposure to toxins, I have some DIY recipes to share that will replace your hand soap, shampoo, and body wash.
BASE RECIPE (adapted from Homemade Mommy)
1/2 cup castile soap (where to buy)
1/2 cup distilled or filtered water
10-20 drops of your favorite essential oils (where to buy)
Directions: Add the castile soap to a container and then add the essential oils. Finally, add the filtered water. That’s it!
Foaming Hand Soap Additional Ingredients/Oils to Use
- Vitamin E Oil (where to buy)
- Thieves Oil (where to buy)
- Lemon Oil (where to buy)
- Handsoap dispenser – Use leftover from store bought products after rinsing or purchase
Shampoo Additional Ingredients/Oils to Use
- Organic Coconut Milk (where to buy) Moisturizes hair and treats dry scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar (where to buy) Balances hair pH (good for oily hair), natural detangler, encourages hair growth
- Peppermint Oil (where to buy)
- Lavender Oil (where to buy)
- Rosemary Oil (where to buy)
Have a great time experimenting with these recipes. I’d love to hear what works for you! Comment below with your ideas! As always, my hope is you will take these ideas and lead your own YingYang Life!